Jobs at Camp
Spend the Summer with the Museum of Life and Science!
Located less than five miles from downtown Durham, the Museum of Life and Science is one of the Southeast’s top informal learning institutions. Our summer camps provide an excellent opportunity for educators to gain experience in experiential and informal education. With a range of topics to choose from, our camps give you the chance to broaden your knowledge base and grow as an educator in a fun, exciting environment on a team with diverse backgrounds and skillsets.
Our interactive science park includes a two-story science center, one of the largest butterfly conservatories on the East Coast, and beautifully landscaped outdoor exhibits that are safe havens for rescued black bears, lemurs, and endangered red wolves. With over 84-acres of outdoor exhibits and over 60 species of live animals, there is always more to explore.
The Museum of Life and Science (MLS) offers one-week, full-day, hands-on science camps for children age 4 through grade 8 that run June 7- August 20, 2021, at its campus on Murray Avenue in Durham. The MLS also offers one-week, full-day camps for children age 4 through grade 5 at the Montessori Community School, located in the Chapel Hill area.
- Camp Orientation (in-person): May 15-16
- Topics Training (in-person): May 22-23
- Museum Camp Dates: June 7 – August 20
- Virtual Camp Dates: June 7 – August 20
- Chapel Hill Camp Dates: June 21 – August 6
The application period begins February 8th.
Summer Camp Youth Volunteer Program
Youth volunteers age 13-17 work with our Summer Camps, supporting the informal science education led by paid staff. They prepare the classroom for the day, help the Educator and Assistant with classroom management and work directly with the kids on a wide variety of experiments, projects, and activities. Volunteers help provide a fun and safe environment while assisting campers in their exploration of science!
Camps run June 7-August 20 at the Museum in Durham. We will also offer camp at the Montessori Community School of Chapel Hill from June 21-August 6. Volunteers must work 8:30 am-3:30 pm, although they may arrive by 8 am. In addition, every Monday morning, there will be a team meeting at 8 am for all volunteers assigned that week.
- Be at least 13 years old by June 7, 2021
- Have experience working with young children and in positions of responsibility
- Have demonstrated the ability to work as part of a team
- Have an interest in science
- Volunteers attending school on a traditional calendar must be able to work two weeks of camp. The weeks do not need to be consecutive. Volunteers attending school on a year-round calendar must be able to work one week of camp.
Hours and Pricing
9 am – 4:30 pm
Virtual camps, Session A
9 am – 11 am
Virtual camps, Session B
1 pm – 3 pm
General Public: $360/week
General Public: $180/week
Lunch*: $35/week (vegetarian and omnivore options available)
* Lunch is only available at the Durham location